The Pepsu Road Transport Corporation, Patiala was set-up on 16th of October, 1956 under the provision of the Road Transport Corporations Act, 1950 with a view to provide efficient, adequate, economic and properly co-ordinated operation system of Road Transport Services in the State. It commenced passenger transport operations with a meagre investment of Rs. 25.00 lacs and the fleet of 60 buses covering 11,107 daily scheduled kilometers on 15 routes with 345 employees. At present, the PRTC had owned 912 ordinary buses, 2 AC buses and 24 HVAC buses and 36 hired buses under KM Scheme, 600 routes (including inter-state routes) covering a daily mileage of 349928 kilometers. It has 4744 employees as on 31.8.2009. There are 10 depots of the Corporation located at Patiala, Bathinda, Kapurthala, Barnala, Sangrur, Budhlada, Faridkot, Ludhiana, Chandigarh and Special Cell of KM Scheme at Patiala.